Thursday, August 25, 2011

Why I Joined a Gym

A couple of months ago, I mentioned in a post that I was considering joining a gym.  The problem is that I am not only trying to get healthy I am also trying to get out of debt.  I am cutting back on any extra expenses in order to use the money I save to pay down on my debt.  So why did I join a gym?  Why didn't I just start jogging in the mornings or use my workout videos?
  Everyone has there own set of challenges.  I have tried and failed to loose weight many, many times.  Before I started this time, I first thought back on all of my previous attempts to figure out what went wrong.  The answer I decided was accountability.  When I work out on my own, I tend to get caught up in other things and never get started.  It's not that I don't like to work out, I do, but I get caught up in a TV show or a book or realize I need to do the dishes.  The next thing I know it is time for bed and I still haven't worked out.  The times in my life when I have worked out the most consistently where when I had someone to work out with.  I couldn't put it off if I had someone waiting for me.  In grad school, I went to the gym with my friend Vanessa.  When I live overseas, my roommates and I took karate.
   So what does this have to do with the gym?   Well, I needed someone to work out with.  Most of my friends live too far away to work with.  As for the friends who live nearby, I have a crazy schedule and so do most of them.  I might be able to do one or two days a week with them, but that is not enough.  So I thought of the gym.
   The gym I go to is called Omni and it is right across the road from my apartment.  I have actually been a member in the past so I was already familiar with the facilities.  The deciding factor were the classes.  Classes meet at the same time every week.  Unlike working on my own, I can't put them off.  As I keep going to the same classes, I get to know people and they will know if I do not show up.  I have picked three classes I can attend on a regular basis and I try not to miss.  So far it's working.  I am working out 3-4 days a week for the first time in years.  My clothes are fitting better, and I feel stronger.
   The gym may cost a little extra per month, but I believe that the benefits to my health far out way the price. It's not for everyone, but it works for me.   How do you workout?

TIP:  If you do decide to join a gym, it may be possible to talk their price down.  I paid no joining fees and my monthly payments are less than they quoted, because I talked them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment