Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Goal 2: Get Healthy

   Out of my three goals, this is the hardest one for me.  I have been trying to loose weight since I was a kid, but have not been able to stick to any plan long term.  This has got to change.  I am not going to try any fad diets, nor do I plan to count every calorie.  The only way to achieve long term success is to eat healthier and exercise.  I am going to try to limit my shopping to healthier foods.  If the unhealthy food is not in the house, hopefully I won't be tempted to eat it.  Exercise is the main thing I need to work on.  It is not that I don't enjoy exercise.  Once I get started I have a great time.  I just get so distracted by other things that I usually get to the end of the day and realize that I never made the time.  I do best when I am held accountable by someone else.  Here's a question I am struggling with.  I am trying to save money, but if I join a gym and attend classes that might help keep me accountable.  I am trying to decide if I should save money and workout on my own, or if I should spare $39 per month and join the gym across the street.  What do you think?
Update:  I joined the gym after all.

4 comments:

  1. If you have the extra $$ and time go for the gym. Don't commit to a contract at first. Just try if for a month to see if it is for you. As for food, try reading some healthy recipe blogs and books. Another great tip would be to make the bulk (or all) of diet mostly whole grains, fruits, veggies and nuts. Do a meatless Monday or become a partial vegetarian :) This will also save you $$ at the grocery store. Some great foods would be oatmeal (flaked and steel cut), multi grain pasta, brown and wild rice (great excuse to buy a rice cooker), lots of beans and lentils, veggies and fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Coty! I'm doing my home work and putting my rice cooker to good use. I'm learning that it is possible to eat healthy on a budget it just involves a lot of research and planning if you've never done it before. I'll write what I'm learning in another post sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out the blog "Cheap, Healthy, Good" and also "The Simple Dollar".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I will. I've been reading the Cheapskate Cook. It's pretty helpful.

    ReplyDelete