Friday, January 24, 2014

P90 Day 4: Bands vs. Weights

  Today's workout is another circuit training session.  In other words, strength training.  As such, the program calls for a choice of either hand weights or resistance bands.  Both are great tools for building muscle and burning fat.  The decision to use one over the other depends on your own preferences and needs.
   Personally, I like hand weights.  You get a range of motion with hand weights that is not possible with resistance bands.  The weight is also consistent throughout each motion unlike resistance bands which add more resistance the farther they are stretched.  If I had to choose, I would prefer hand weights over resistance bands any day.
   With that said, I actually use is resistance bands.  Why?  Because they really do give nearly as good a workout as free weights.  Most importantly they are much cheaper.  With hand weights you must buy each size as you grow stronger and that money adds up.  However,  Go Fit has a set of bands you can buy at once.  I can progress to a higher weight without spending more money.  Finally, resistance bands are very compact.  I live in a modest apartment without room to store various sized weights, but my resistance bands fit neatly in a small bag in the closet.
   Maybe someday money won't be an issue and I'll have a house big enough to store the extra weights but for now I will stick to my bands.  The important thing is that I am still getting the exercise I need.

   Do you prefer weights or bands?  Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment