Thursday, January 5, 2012

Project Unclutter: Day 4 (sacrifices)

   I love Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien.  If you know me, you are laughing at this point.  It's been my favorite book since age 12, long before the movies came out.  So what does this have to do with uncluttering?  I'm getting to that.
   I started out the day behind.  Two trips to the mechanic yesterday totaled about five and a half hours in a waiting room (at least the car is fixed now).  So I never got a chance to organize the kitchen.  However, thanks to a little elbow grease and the fact that the living room wasn't very cluttered to begin with, I am now caught up.
   The hardest part of uncluttering is deciding what to get rid of.  This is where Lord of the Rings comes in.  I went through my cups this morning.  We have more cups than two people need.  It is difficult to fit them all in the cabinet.  Some of them had to go.  The first question is which ones do we use on a regular basis.  Then there were the cups that we use on special occasions or when we have guests.  We have to keep those of course.  What was left?  Sadly I looked at a tall white cut with an image of a horse and the word "Rohan" on it.  (If you don't know what Rohan is, it is an place in Lord of the Rings where my favorite character is from.)  I love this cup.  It is beautifully made.  Unfortunately, I never use it.  It just sits in the cabinet taking up space.  Then i saw another cup.  A glass goblet with a picture of Arwen, an elf from Lord of the Rings, on it.  This one even had a base that lit up and caused your drink to glow.  I had to make a decision what do I want more an uncluttered kitchen or more Lord of the Rings paraphernalia.   They are now sitting in my yard sale pile.
   Have you had to make any sacrifices for an uncluttered home?

2 comments:

  1. You poor thing. But good for you for getting rid of it! I cleaned a bit last weekend. I got rid of a bunch of Christmas ornaments and decorations that I have amassed since I moved out on my own...and was single. The stuff doesn't really go with my married life. So, I have 2 totes of Christmas stuff to Freecycle next Christmas. I also sent a large box of stuff to Goodwill and a large box of stuff to the dumpster. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. My pull out sofa couch. It is a bed and a sofa all in one for guests. My husband refused to get rid of his lazy boy so I made the sacrifice for more room in the living room. I thought I would miss it, but the extra room made me happier.

    ReplyDelete