Monday, November 14, 2011

Recipe: Texas Chili

  A couple of months ago my gym hosted a talk from a nutritionist.  In addition to all the helpful information she provided, she also gave us several recipes.  This is one of my favorites.  It is different from most other chili recipes I've tried, but I love it.  It's not spicy but very flavorful.  I added a couple of notes of my own to the recipe below.  It has quickly become a favorite in our house.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

1/2 lb ground turkey (omit for vegetarian)
1 small onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic
1 can of diced fire roasted tomatoes (I use 1 cup fresh diced tomato)
1 can sauce
1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)  (If you cook your own 1 1/2 cup = 1can)
1/2-1 cup water
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 green bell pepper (chopped or chunks)
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 yellow bell pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder

In a large soup pot cook meat, onions, and garlic together.  If not using meat, add some olive oil to cook the onion and garlic.  Cook until onions are tender, add the rest of ingredients, stir and bring to a boil on medium heat.   Turn down to simmer for 30 min.

1/2 cup serving w/ meat and beans is 19g protein, without is 9g protein.
1/2 cup serving w/ meat 225 calories, without meat is 125 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment