Sunday, January 1, 2012

Recipe: Berry Delicious Green Smoothie


   I don't know about you, but I have trouble making myself eat enough vegetables.  It's not that I hate them per se.  I just prefer to eat other things.  In the past, I have enjoyed V8 Splash which it turns out is full of high fructose corn syrup, and V8 Fusion which is healthier but still expensive.  Recently I've learned of this recipe.  Like V8 Splash and V8 Fusion it uses fruit to mask the taste of vegetables resulting in a sweet drink that's actually good for you.  It really helps me increase my servings of veggies and adds a nice little snack to my afternoons.



  • 1 cup apple juice or water (I use water, it's cheaper and has no sugar)
  • Handful of spinach OR collard OR kale leaves (In my experience, spinach is the best)
  • 1 frozen banana (previously peeled and frozen) (you can use a room temperature banana if you don't mind your drink a little less cold)
  • 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries
  • optional: 1/2 cup frozen raspberries (actually any frozen berries will do)
 In your blender puree the juice/water and greens first.  Then add the frozen fruit and blend together with greens until creamy.  If a thinner smoothie is desired, add more water until desired consistency.  Can also add ice for a thicker, colder smoothie.  For a sweeter smoothie add more berries.

 Note: I have no children, but I have heard that this can be a good way to sneak some veggies to picky kids.

2 comments:

  1. I love green smoothies. I use orange juice in mine (grape is also awesome and you can use it 50/50 with water). Spinach is the best but I have heard romaine lettuce is also good with a mild flavor. Walmart sells frozen mixed fruit which I have found to be cheaper than the berries. Your smoothie looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Coty. I'll have to try the romaine sometime. I'd love to see some of your recipe's sometime. I'm still pretty new at this.

    ReplyDelete