Monday, July 1, 2013

Tiger's Tale: Budgeting for your pet

    There was something wrong with Tiger.  The first time I saw him jump up from a nap looking terrified and making the most pitiful noise, I didn't know what was happening.  He stopped before I had time to react and hid under the futon.  Maybe he had a nightmare I thought, and made a mental note to keep an eye on him.  Later when he seemed like he was having trouble walking, I realized that something wasn't right.
"What?"
      As I took him to the vet, terrified that I wouldn't be able to pay for treatment, I realized that in my financial planning I had neglected to save for a sick cat.  Hundred of dollars and several vet visits later I realized I should have.
      Pets, like people can get sick at any time.  The older the animal (Tiger is 13 now), the more likely he or she is to get sick.  As I think back, I should have known to save up.  When Tiger was a Kitten, he had some messy stomach trouble for a little while.  The vet never did figure out what caused it, but was more than willing to give him some medicine.  Lucky for me the medicine worked.  Our family dog from high school and college got diabetes at age 5.  It is not a matter of if your pet will get sick or hurt, but when.  
    Pets can be beloved members of the family.  And I was more than willing to do what I could to take care of Tiger, but planning for the unexpected will be a part of my job as a pet owner from now on.
    It has been over a year since I rushed Tiger to the vet, and I'm happy to say he is doing much better.  He was diagnosed with kidney failure, but thanks to a good vet and some prescription cat food he is back to his old self.

Tell me about your beloved pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment